Lakewood >Bloomfield Animal Hospital
great animal services, nice place
Terrible Vet, Had Us Pay For His Inexperience.
We brought in our Chihuahua into this office because he had eaten a package of Trident Layers Peach Mango. We were worried that he was at risk because Trident Layers is a sugar free gum and that sugar free gum is possibly fatal for dogs. At the time, he was not exhibiting any signs of illness or weakness.
The Veterinarian on staff, Dr. Arambulo, admitted that he had never dealt with a dog that had eaten sugar free gum before and, instead of doing the proper research and educating himself or referring to another Veterinarian, recommended a battery of tests and services that totaled almost $600 and put our dog at further health risk and failed to meet an acceptable standard of care.
In speaking with other Veterinarians, we found the proper course of action would have been for the Veterinarian to call the Trident Gum Consumer Line, a number that is available on the internet, or to call a local store for the exact ingredients on the gum package to find that the gum does not have Xylitol.
Instead, obviously to ring up extra charges for unnecessary services, the Veterinarian ordered X-Rays, a catheter, fluid therapies and hospitalization.
The most egregious of acts was committed when our dog was being released from hospitalization. The Veterinarian, who admittedly knew that our dog was biting at his catheter because it was uncomfortable and painful to him, left the catheter in his paw instead of removing it.
The Veterinarian proceeded to tell us that we would need to come back the next day to have the catheter removed. We asked his billing staff member if they would be charging us for the return visit to have it removed. His staff member responded saying that he might charge us for the next days visit also. He then discharged our dog without even sending him home with a cone to prevent him from biting at the catheter.
Other Veterinarians noted that this especially negligent because a catheter should never be left in the paw of an animal that is not under hospital care because it is likely to cause injury and, in the case of blood thinning from consumption of sugar free gum, possibly death.
Immediately after the discharge when the family arrived at home, while my youngest sister was nearby, our dog pulled out the catheter resulting in blood spraying all over the our area rugs, clothing of multiple family members, a trip to the Veterinary Emergency Room and trauma to my sister who was horrified by the sight of what she thought was her dog bleeding to death all over her.
The office was called the next day to rectify this situation by refunding the original charges of $596.50 and the emergency room charge of $75.00. The Veterinarian was unwilling refund the full amount. He said he would refund a small amount and also failed to do so.
Beware, do not take your pets to Bloomfield Animal Hospital.
They've moved. Bloomfield has finally moved to a bigger place, it's now in Lakewood. Luckily it's all the same staff and I love them all. Dr. A and the staff is great, they always answer all the questions I have and are very patient with me and my dog. I have called other vet offices butnthey are always the most affordable and the friendliest around. They always have a smile on their face and treat you like family, unlike VCA Lakewood who are always rude and grumpy. I would never think about taking my babies anywhere else.